Monday, November 21, 2011

LEGO TO GO

While at Vanderbilt, Jacob was not able to get out of the bed for 4 days.  Each floor has a playroom for the patients go to for entertainment but, with his confinement, he wasn't able to go.  He was able to get the mobile Wii rolled into his room on two of the days and one lady came by to do a science experiment with him and another to show him her dog.  Each activity really lifted his spirits and it showed us how important these moments were in his recovery.  He went the first 3 days without hardly talking (VERY uncommon for Jacob...I know some of you probably cannot even believe it).  As soon as the Wii was rolled in on the evening of the third day, he became animated for the first time and more interactive with us than he had been the whole time. 

It's completely understandable how children who are unable to leave their rooms cannot enjoy all the therapeutic entertainment offerings that the hospital has.  We were blessed with what he did receive but those resources are limited.  There are only 2 portable Wiis for the entire children's hospital and the in-room activities are based solely on volunteers coming in.  So, all this got us thinking about what we can do to brighten up the hospital stay for these children who are itching to get out of their beds but cannot.  Prior to his surgery, Jacob and I had already been brainstorming ideas of how we could help other kids in need this Christmas.  So, these two opportunities to give just fell hand in hand. 

I had kept thinking how much Jacob would've enjoyed having his Legos to play with. They would've been very helpful in getting his little brain stimulated after so much sedation.  This past summer, I had created these travel size containers that I had picked up on clearance at Michael's that I dubbed Lego to Go tins.  With all the doctor's appointments that were on our calendar, I thought this would be a great way to beat the waiting room crazies...child going crazy then mommy going crazy.  This little creation of mine only cost a few dollars but has saved me over a dozen moments of insanity while we wait.  The doctors were used to having little Lego pieces spread out everywhere and I'm sure they appreciated it, too, because it allowed us time to talk uninterupted.  That little 2"x4" tin has the power to keep my busy, busy Eli completely still for 45 solid minutes.  There's just something about those pint size little containers with their names on them that they love.  And, I love them, too.  

I also love to take something useful that I've created and recreate it for others.  The desire we have to help the confined patients and the joy over our little Lego tins have merged and on our follow-up visit right before Christmas, we want to take an armful up to the 7th, 8th and 9th floors at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and hand out to these children. 

Here's where you come in....if you'd like one for your children, we will be happy to personalize one for you.  For every ONE that you purchase, we will donate ONE to Vanderbilt.  Jacob and I are working together....he already assigned himself the job of writing down orders, writing notes inside each one and distributing them to the children.  Since he's still confined to a bed until Christmas, that's about all he can do.  But, his heart is so into this. 

Please send me an email through facebook if you'd like one (or more).  By having only one method for ordering, that will help me keep track of them more accurately.  If you tell me in person or text me, I can guarantee you that I'll probably forget.  All the other details are outlined in the pictures that follow.  Any questions can be emailed to me as well.

So, doing a little shopping for your child, your neighbor, your nephew, (yourself, lol), and know that with each gift you buy, you will be bringing a little beam of joy into the hearts of the patients who receive them and into the heart of the little patient who will be giving them.









I can do custom orders for $3 extra per design:

 60 minute wait before his bloodwork:

90 minute wait before his biopsy:











No comments:

Post a Comment