Monday, August 2, 2010

In Her Own Time



As her 9 month birthday was approaching, I was starting to wonder if Micah would ever sit-up or roll over. Up until that day, she had rolled over a grand total of 3 times (tummy to back) and that was in a 5 minute span when she was 6 1/2 months old. It was almost like she said, "Okay, I tried it, it's a bit overrated and it's not for me." At her 6 month check-up, her pediatrician was a bit surprised that she hadn't mastered that milestone yet. After checking her over, he remarked, "Well, there's nothing physically wrong with her. She has good muscle tone and I believe she could do it if she wanted to. I like to say she's just content. Other people might say that she's lazy. But, I like content." He pegged her perfectly. After two very independent, strong-willed boys, God has blessed me with a sweet, content little girl. There is a slight sparky side that she displays when hungry or when you put her down but, for the most part, she's just a go-with-the-flow easy child.

I'm finding that content children are in no hurry to experience life. They'd rather be spectators. Give them a full belly and they will park on your lap for hours. A string or a spoon is enough entertainment to fascinate them for at least 20 minutes. When she does get fussy, all it takes is a dose of her love language of physical touch and she's happy as a clam again. Yes, this is a different experience for me, a much easier one, and I'm enjoying her sweet, cuddling nature immensely.

Thus far, the milestones have been few and far between so I was shocked that she mastered 2 in one day! Last week, within just a couple of hours, she rolled over with ease AND she sat alone for 5 minutes. Wow...how did she do that? Then, I wondered if she's really known how to do these things for a while but has been holding back on us. Nevertheless, we were proud of her and I think that she's enjoying her little world from a new vantage point.

Because of her agreeing nature and not wanting much more than a smile, kiss or lap to sit on, I view her as my baby bird who will spread her wings when she's ready. She is teaching me that she WILL do it, but in her own time. She first clearly demonstrated this when she finally found her thumb. Here's an excerpt from the journal that I keep for her:

I walked past you tonight trying to get some things done around the house while all was quiet. I paused for a moment to stare at my sweet girl and noticed something that brought a huge smile to my face: you were sucking your thumb. I knew this moment was coming because you've been working so hard to find it. You've been nursing your tiny fist so hard that chapped, raw patches marked the area surrounding your thumbs. Seeing you struggle to find it, I tried many times to help you out. I'd take that miniature thumb, pry it away from your fist and put it to your tiny lips. I would think how delighted you'd be to taste it but, instead, you'd gag and pull it away. Seeing you tonight with that miniature thumb in that tiny mouth made me realize something: you will find it in your own way and in your own time. Though I'll be there to help and can even make it easier if you let me, some things you just have to learn by yourself. Then, I can stand in awe, like I did tonight, with tears running down my face and be so happy for you and proud of your accomplishment.

My sweet Micah, my baby bird, you have brought more joy to my life than I ever thought possible. All those baby girl dolls that I loved on and cared for ever so diligently when I was a little girl prepared me for you. I'm so happy that you are in no hurry to grow up because you allow me to enjoy each stage just a little bit longer. Soon, you will take those first wobbly steps, your first tooth will sprout up and you will babble your first true word. But, like you have proven in your first nine months of life, you will do them in your own time. And, that time, is the perfect time. I love you my baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment